1. According to the give statistics, students who find it hard to speak in English also performed quite low during diagnostic assessments. In order to enhance their knowledge, teachers should change their curriculum depending on the lessons that most students know and do not know. Focus on their needs and generate another set of lessons for them. Teachers should adjust themselves for their students.
In order to enhance the knowledge of students, an instructional action plan should be considered. Since most students find difficult in English proficiency, the first plan is to enhance their English Communication Skills. This 70% of students could have extra classes for English. This will enable them to catch up with other subjects. Grammar, Reading Comprehension and Writing would be some of the courses that could be offered in these classes. To encourage these students more rather than to make them feel discriminated, teachers should create an atmosphere that would boost their self-esteem as students. Make them feel that the action plan is not made to make them seem weaker than other students. Instead, this is a way to enhance their knowledge. Focus on the needs of these students to improve the statistics. Teachers can also conduct fun activities to motivate students into learning. The more they have fun in their classes the more they will learn and will comprehend easier with other classes.
Also take into consideration the cultural differences of each student. Probably, they belong to other cultures and nations who went into studying in New York. It is advisable to learn some of their backgrounds to prevent any thoughts of cultural discrimination. Give them better learning experiences so they’ll enjoy their stay in the campus.
2. Howard Zinn, an American Historian who became a Political Professor at Boston University wrote a memoir entitled “You Can’t be neutral in a moving train”. Later on, this became a title in a documentary in 2004 about his life and work. He was the defender of several individuals who could not fight for their own human rights. He actively joined numerous movements regarding struggles for the voiceless and the oppressed.
In his argument, he stated that it is difficult to be objective in individuals because of the many dissimilarities each person contains. Such individuals include teachers and professors. Zinn argued that teachers would find it difficult to be fair and balanced when dealing with their students. However, they should find a way to maintain being neutral within their students. Teachers should be fair with examining the students’ opinions. Remember that opinions are not at all times speak based on facts. One should remain his/her professionalism when it comes to teaching, and at the same time, should not be trying too hard to become one. Everyone has their weaknesses, including teachers so they should be very careful and patient with their students to remain respected. On the other hand, individuals should understand that teachers are human beings too. They could make mistakes, show emotions or be biased at times.
When it comes to dealing with parents, teachers do not have to bother with parental influences for it may just worsen some cases. Actors have the stage as their boundary; this idea is just the same with teachers. They should know how to adapt themselves with different kinds of people they are dealing with. Teachers should also be considerate of the parents’ opinions and should know how to talk to them in a good manner.
3. Howard Zinn, as an activist, saw how the Constitution of Law manipulated individuals and oppressed most of the minorities. He stated that “There is enormous hypocrisy surrounding the pious veneration of the Constitution and the “rule of law”. For several instances, the Supreme Court had records of miscarriages within deciding upon what is justifiable or not. Their processes had also committed several mistakes during the past years. Until this moment, there are still controversies regarding their way of handling the constitution. Such controversies include discrimination, racism, superiority complexes and the like. With this kind of processing of the Supreme Court, no wonder there are still few who question the standards and eligibility of their work. One of them was Zinn who encouraged people to fight for their own human rights. He stated that the only way to have their rights given unto them is to involve into activism. In this way, those people who claim themselves as paragons of Justice would at least have the drive to do what they are supposed to be doing – to fight for justice and not to serve people with their political needs.
The issue of power is also involved here. The Supreme Court holds the greatest power for it could decide upon what is just or unjust. Even though it seems quite indestructible because of its superiority, remember that those who work in it are also human beings. They also commit mistakes. No one could state the absolute meaning of justice, but anyone could fight for it.
This would be an interesting lesson to teach in an American History Class. The class could research on how the Supreme Court works and could also examine several miscarriages and cases that occurred in the past. A debate could also be an appropriate activity so students could understand and share their own knowledge about this topic. There are several documentaries and movies to consider for further understanding of the issue.
4.a Barack Obama, the first African-American President of the United States, faced numerous controversies regarding his credibility and authenticity as a person and as a president. He was loaded with different scandals in opposition to his administration. Although he had struggles, Obama was to be commended because of his bravery and passion for serving his country. Even though some are questioning his capabilities as a president, he continuously proves his worth with his movements. He altered the stereotyped impression of Black Americans as violent and brutal individuals. Racial Discrimination should be taught in classes so as to lessen the percentage of this issue.
4.b. Regarding the crisis that the United State faces in the economy, Barack Obama also made actions for this issue. His greatest asset is his notion to bring the country back from the economic abyss that it had before. He could be a great instrument to encourage people and to appeal to their emotions. His small steps would turn into great ones. This would be very essential for a consumer-based economy such as the United States. If one wants to increase one’s market, one should be able to get the attention of the public. Obama should begin to promote unity for the economy. This can be applied while learning Economics in class.
4.c. The war between the United States and the Islamic Terrorism should be ceased. Nothing can be solved by using violence. Everybody should learn how to compromise, understand and help one another. Differences with beliefs should be considered and should not be fought of. This could be applied during the understanding of different cultures in the world.
4.d. Immigration in the United states has several benefits and negative feedbacks. What individuals could do is to check on their system again to prevent undocumented immigrants. The class could research on multiculturalism and its effects in the state. Be careful; there could be some students who are also immigrants. As a teacher, do not be biased with this issue.
5. The students in the eleventh grade should be able to know most of the past occurrences in America. Starting from the basic ones such as how America got its name, how Americans became Americans, the countries that colonized Americans and those countries that were colonized by Americans, Aspiring heroes who fought for the state, the constitution, the laws and premises, the economic system of America, the government system and other things to consider.
Aside from these topics, the class should also be aware of the Immigration and Industrialization that occurred in the state within the years 1870-1924. The positive and negative effects should be taken into consideration. It could also be compared and contrasted to the Immigration and Industrialization that the America has today. This would be essential so students would be aware of it and if possible, they could also think of ways to improve the economy of the state by using these topics.
They should also be aware of the emergence of the United States as a world power. Students should know specific people who made this happen and how America became a World Power. They should also be taught of the wars that involved the states, how they managed to fight for the country and how they were able to recover and become one of the top countries in the world. They should be aware of the U.S Foreign Policy for this would help them with their lives even when they are still young. All aspects are necessary when studying the American History. They should also know the problems that the country has encountered
While young, students should be aware of the history of their own country so they would develop their love for the nation and could contribute for the betterment of it. The more aware the students are, the more they could understand the topics and the more they could find interest in learning about the history of America.
6. The United States of America has a government to address to the needs of the people. The responsibilities of the government are to know the needs and rights of individuals, to lead and unite the people, maintain peace and balance in the state, lessen unwanted happenings such as war, rebellion, crime and violence and more. The United States has been through many ups and downs, however, it still is rising from other countries. Even so, the state’s economic status nowadays is decreasing because of some reasons.
What the nation needs now is change. The problem is within the individuals, not only with the government. Considering the fact that the nation has given freedom of choice, there still are issues about oppression. Discrimination should be lessened and discipline should be promoted. Probably, these are the things that the state has to focus on. People are given the freedom, but some are afraid of using it. If there is a balance of democracy given to all, then people could learn how to adapt to different circumstances. However, it seems quite impossible to give balanced democracy. This could be one of the problems that the government could take care of. If there is democracy, justice could be seen and understood.
On the other hand, people should consider the different perspectives of each other. What could be just to one could be unjust to others. What could seem fair to some may also seem unfair to others. The government should be ready in dealing with these kinds of controversies for this would always appear in the administration. They should know how to get the public’s attention so they could lead the nation. The government should prove their worth to people and should be very considerate of the people’s needs.
7. History deals with data happened in the past. Sometimes, students find this course quite boring and unlikely because f the numerous data gathered such as different places, names of significant persons, dates and more. What they are interested with are historical trends that are new to their ears. These topics are quite easier to understand and are very popular that is why students would want to know about those.
In order to teach history while enjoying it, one should incorporate the fun in learning. Instead of just conducting discussions, researches and reading books, it is more interesting if different activities should be done. One can create fun activities to study some serious historical data. Let us face the fact that these data are very significant and students should know these things. One could apply the historical events with events that are happening in the present times. In this way, students could relate to it and could find interest in studying history.
Teachers and professors have different ways of teaching. Everyone can change and should adapt to the needs of their students, so it is advisable to change one’s way of teaching if several students seem to lose their focus during classes. Teachers have to also get the attention of the class, so they have to learn more about their students. Find out what their hobbies are, what they like and dislike, what they want to know and d not want to know, or what they what tho learn about. Communication plays a big role in learning and teaching. If one wishes to develop the standing of their students, one should be more considerate of their needs. Students have the right to learn, so teachers should do their best in teaching them.
8. Multiculturalism is part of the history of America. It has also brought rise to the economy of the state. It is just right to learn about multiculturalism in classes as part of a social studies curriculum. Students should be aware of the occurrences of this matter and the effects of it, may it be positive or negative. This is also one of the reasons why America is known all over the world. So why put multiculturalism to bed? It is not a valid reason to do so. What the schools have to do are to change the way their teachers teach and their educational system.
The schools should screen their faculty to know if they are still doing their responsibilities. They are the ones who should be responsible with what the students learn so they should make adjustments if problems like this occur. The topic is not a problem so there is no need to stop anyone from teaching such matter.
There are too many things to learn with the history of America and multiculturalism is still part of it. Another suggestion would be to regulate policies within the faculty. The school is responsible for checking the performances of each teacher working in their grounds. The school can be professionally strict when it comes to education because this could produce the future professionals of the state and could lead to the betterment of it.
There are numerous ways to make learning exciting. Look for other interesting topics that could be applied in teaching History so students would find the drive to study. Controversial Issues and Trivia could interest students. They want surprises, they want excitement, and they want what seems new to them.
9. Social Studies deal with any matter that involves the history, present occurrences and future endeavors of people. The most important thing is that it deals with studying one’s own country. Learning things about one’s specific country develops admiration to it. Social Studies teachers should also teach nationality and patriotism within students. The fact that they are teaching students things about the country makes them teach about the idea of love for the country
Regardless of what others think or say, it is important for students to develop patriotism for the country. Even though Samuel Johnson stated such quotation, one should never stop fighting for one’s country. Even though Johnson stated such quotation about patriotism, teachers should not take this as a hindrance in teaching moral lessons. Instead, they should take this as a challenge in order to change other persons who think of the same way as Johnson.
Another factor why Johnson probably said this was taking into consideration his specific county and the practices done there. Probably, they are not practicing such beliefs. There could be several differences regarding the preferences and traditions of each nation so this should also be considered. Different individuals have different perspectives to state.
Patriotism should always be taught in schools. Students should develop this kind of practice and teachers should be more encouraged in teaching this matter because what they teach with students might become their fruits of labor. These students may be the next heroes of the county, the next president of the state or the next professor of Social Studies.
10. The Social Studies Department should first know their students before the teaching processes starts. Take into consideration the different performance levels of students in a class, teachers should understand the needs of each student. One could asses the knowledge capacity of students by conducting a specific diagnostic test. In this way, teachers could examine where to start teaching, what topics the students already know and mostly, what they do not know. In a classroom setup, group activities could help students especially those who could not cope up with certain lessons. It is easier to ask questions to classmates rather than asking questions in a class to a teacher. Teachers have to be more patient with students in this kind of setup. More encouraging dialogues should be given to students to boost up their confidence in learning and studying.
In reading and writing assignments, always prepare one with interesting illustrations, new trivia, and the like. In classroom discussions, prepare activities that would enhance the creativity of students, interest in learning and knowledge in Social Studies. Games would be a means of motivation especially when it includes reward giving. Media can also be used in learning. After watching a certain documentary, let the students write a reflection paper about it or discuss it in class. Make the students’ learning experience interesting by creating twists in teaching. After every end of a certain topic, assess the students by preparing short exercises or examinations that would enable them to recall their past lessons. If possible, one could offer tutorials after class hours or consultation hours whenever there are no classes. Find out ways to encourage students to learn. Make History classes fun and motivating.
Morison, Samuel Elliot. 1967. An Oxford History of the American People. Oxford University Press.
No related essays.